Yes! Try meeting different tutors, learning with our structured courses, or reserving tutors in advance. Read up on our top tips below.
Tip #1: Try different tutors until you find a few you love
The best way to get started on Cambly is to call a different tutor every day until you find A FEW whom you love. Why?
- Find the perfect connection: Finding the perfect tutor may feel like finding a new friend. The personal connection you have with your tutors is important in helping you feel comfortable, especially when practicing a tough, new language.
- Different tutors have different strengths. Some tutors are particularly good with grammar or test prep, and others are amazing conversationalists. Find tutors that specialize in areas you need help with.
- Work with 1 or many tutors. Some students prefer working with 1 - 3 tutors consistently. Others find it more interesting to always call a different person every day.
HOW do you find the best ones among hundred of tutors available on Cambly?
- Play profile videos. You can tell a lot about a tutor's personality and teaching style from their profile video. Trust your instincts.
- Search for the right tutor. Use the search bar to find tutors who share your interests or experiences. Type in your profession or learning need (Example: Engineer, TOEFL), and see which tutors pop up!
Are you ready to find your perfect tutor?! Click here to get started!
Tip #2: Enroll in a Course!
- Articles. Read and discuss a current article with your tutor. This is a great way to work on your comprehension and learn new expressions and vocabulary. Perfect for students with 30+min plans.
- Discussion Topics. Add a discussion topic to your session to help structure your conversation. Each topic comes with 10 expressions related to the topic. Try a new topic every day and watch your English improve!
- Test prep. Preparing for IELTS, TOEFL, or TOEIC? These lessons will help you get ready! These are great for students with 30min+ plans.
- Interview prep. Practice common interview questions in English with your tutor.
HOW to get the most out of topics:
- Try to use the new vocabulary or expression in your sentences. If you make mistakes, your tutor will correct you.
- Ask questions. Although Cambly tutors are trying their best to help you catch mistakes and improve your English, sometimes they won't know you're stuck unless you say something. Tell them if you don't understand something.
- Many students find that Cambly is their window into another culture. Don't forget to ask your tutor about their lives and their country.
- The more curious you are, the more you'll learn.
Tip 3: Reserve your favorite tutors in advance!
- Great tutors are busy. Scheduled lessons help guarantee that you are able to work with the tutors you want at the times you want.
- Keep yourself accountable. Scheduling lessons with tutors helps you organize your schedule and keeps you accountable.
- Get the most out of your subscription. A good tactic to ensure you use all your Cambly minutes is to schedule a lesson for each day you want to practice.
- From the tutor profile. Search for your favorite tutors in the search bar. You can reserve lessons with them at the bottom of their profile.
- From the calendar icon. Simply click the calendar icon in the upper-right corner and then select "Schedule a Lesson" to let us know when you would like to chat and for how long.